Mr & Mrs Peony – She’s a Waterholic
Female -Peony comes in root form which is the Tree Peony variety (shrub) can last up to 10 years, just cut back the dried out branches annually for maintance (does not die back into the ground as its cousin the Herbaceous, prune when blooms have died out, cut only the split ends no big hair cut as it will affect the blooms to come out the following year) This variety is from Japan.
Male – Are the Rhizomes variety (Ginger looking root) they are planted in autumn, spring up in spring and die out in early summer mid-December. Perennial variety. It’s Herbaceous. Cut right back to ground level after season is over. This variety is from China.
Makes a great name for a GIRL, Peony along with other cut flower names like – Daisy, Lily, Rose, Ivy, Poppy, Iris, Daphne, Jasmine, Dahlia, Clover and Camellia, just to name a few (lol)
Mr & Mrs Peony scent is described as roselike & sweet, and sometimes slightly citrus.
The largest country producing peony cut flower is the Netherlands with about 50 million stems each year.
Cut flower Care
- Keep cool at all times.
- Strip leaves from the lower half of each stem and wash stem ends thoroughly.
- Recut at least 3 cm off each stem (tree Peony) Sneakers and (Herbaceous Peony lactiflora) Heels, and place in water.
- Do not bash or split stems. As this affects the vascular system, which will affect its water consumption
- Always use flower food as this will help buds to open and maintain open flowers.
- Replace vase water with fresh flower food every 3rd day.